Feb 23, 2006

Cartoon Modern


A Tom Oreb study of Disney's Alice, done for a 50s commercial; image courtesy of Amid Amidi/Cartoon Modern

Since starting this blog and posting to it on a semi-regular basis I've been motivated almost every day to post something about other sites I've seen that have something special to offer. One reason I almost never do is that I hate to leave anyone out--all the blogs I've got linked over on the sidebar--and many more besides that I've not added yet--are well worth your time and trouble to visit. But just because I think that it's such a valuable resource, and in particular because I suspect that many of the people who'd love it don't know about it, I'd like to direct your attention to Cartoon Modern, the site run by Amid Amidi as a sort of supplement to his upcoming Chronicle Press book, also titled "Cartoon Modern: Style and Design in Fifties Animation".

If this one isn't on your daily or weekly round of blogging, it really should be. How on earth he has access to such a wealth of fantastic, inspiring material I don't know, but I do know he's mentioned that plenty of what he posts couldn't fit in the book--so it really is your only chance at seeing it. It's not only an education in great design, it's just plain eye candy. Yummy.

tags technorati :


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind mention Jenny. It's very much appreciated. I promise that next week is going to be a special week on the Cartoon Mod blog. Something a bit different. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Very coool posting!

chromasketch said...

great link, thanks for posting.

samacleod said...

I've really enjoyed your posts, especially those rare old pics of Fred, Walt, and Ward. I find I enjoy posting about others too rather than my own work. Thanks for posting!

kelly erwin said...

hey, I'm a student at an animation school.
After reading your post, I remember why I want to go into story and animation.
thanks.

Ward Jenkins said...

I love Cartoon Modern. Another one of my blog crushes.