Jan 20, 2009

Mary Blair and Alice...by Kent Melton and Electric Tiki


From Electric Tiki. Kent Melton after Mary Blair

Here's something that's got to rate as one of the neatest collectibles ever--sculptures of Alice in Wonderland and the White Rabbit based on Mary Blair's artwork(and licensed by Disney, of course). When I first saw this I just about jumped out of my skin. Fantastic!

Alice stands about 5" tall and should retail somewhere in the $120 range. For two figures of this quality in a limited edition it'll be well worth it.

This was an idea hatched by the company that made them, Electric Tiki--to create figures that based on Mary Blair's visual development and try to capture her unique style in three dimensions--and I think it's a great one. I've seen Alice here from every angle and the detail and appeal is all there. Below is a detail of the artwork that the figures are based on. They were the only reference used by the sculptor--the fantastic Kent Melton.

I can't wait to get my hands on this set(it will be sold as a pair). The ETA is summer '09. Until then, enjoy the preview.


5 comments:

Koldo Barroso said...

This is just the cutest thing I've ever seen! I heart Mary Blair + I heart Lewis Carroll :)

Alessandra Sorrentino said...

This is just lovely Jen, thanks for sharing it.
..Summer 09 yaay!

Anonymous said...

SOOO very close.I wish Alice's face was below the halfway mark on the cranium, and the skin tone was a shade more blue green like the original painting.
like this
Still, it's a real beaut! I imagine Mr. Melton went through some epic battles with the D licensing dept. to get it as close as he did.

Kathy Lea said...

I just love Mary Blair... she is such a great source of inspiration... timeless!

william wray said...

Kent's good, but he made this to Normal, not flat enough, to evenly proportionally and added dimensional detail. Missed the mark with the perfect coloring... some attempt at a similar patina would have been nice. Its a good thing though, I need to save money.