Jan 17, 2010

Bid on a box of Blackwing Pencils-and more-and help the Hodges


David Nethery provided this fantastic coup to the Hodge auction-yours if you're the lucky bidder

Want to buy a perfect and unused box of 12 Blackwing #602s? You'll have a shot at scoring them this week.

I don't know Tim Hodge personally. I know he's worked as an animator and story artist at Disney, and I know his icon well from comments he's left on blogs I've visited...and I also know him from hearing about the auction organized by friends to help defray some of the costs of medical care for his son, Matthew.
Matthew had a horrible accident last August that has left him in a deep coma. The Hodge family is doing everything they can to care for Matthew and bring him back to full consciousness. Obviously the expense involved is tremendous.

The Hodge's story is detailed on the site Help The Hodges. The site and the auction was conceived by their friends and colleagues in the artistic community who wanted to help the family, and it's quite a list. A lot of great stuff donated by many, many of animation's best-not only as regards skill but most importantly, heart.

For just two examples-apart from the eponymous pencils mentioned above-how about a drawing by Pete Docter of Carl and Kevin the bird from "Up"-signed by Pete--and Ed Asner?








Another beauty: Vicky Jenson donated not one but three items-among them, two of her own gouache paintings, visdev art done for "Road to El Dorado". I still have old color copies of some of her remarkable paintings for that film(sadly much crumpled from frequent pinning and repinning on my various office walls). These are really rare.
And there's much, much more. It's all detailed at the auction website.

So have a go at bidding on fantastic, one of a kind art and collectible goodness while helping the Hodges.

The auction is going to go live on Ebay starting this coming Thursday, January 21st .

4 comments:

Tony Bancroft said...

Thanks for posting this story Jennie. To clarify though, Tim and his family have nothing to do with putting on the auction (although they know about it). It has been a labor of love by friends who all know and love the Hodges. I only point this out becuase Tim and his family would never ask for help and are far to humble to do so. One thing it for sure, we need others to bid on these wonderful lots so that they can be helped. Thank you also to all of the people who donated such spectacular work!

Jenny Lerew said...

Thanks, Tony-I've rewritten the post to reflect that. I hope the bidding will be fast and furious-it certainly should be given the amazing donations. I'm so proud of everyone-can't say I'm surprised, though. : )

As I wrote I don't know Tim except through comments he's written here and there (including on my blog) over the years; he sounds like a really great guy. I know he must be to inspire such love in his friends.

Thanks again for the info!

Tim said...

Thanx for plugging the auction, Jenny. People are working hard to make it a huge success, and it looks like it will be.

I try to pass info around where I think it will be appreciated (like your blog).

My wife and I have been overwhelmed at the outpouring of art being donated, much if it from people we don't know, but who obviously care and have been moved by Matt's story.

Tim said...

The auction has started:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-one-dozen-Blackwing-602-Animation-Pencils_W0QQitemZ250570325938QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5727bfb2#ht_500wt_1182