Sep 7, 2006

Merry Xmas from the Disney studio: 1952



click the image to enlarge it

One of the most popular things I've ever posted here was my own 1955 Walt Disney Productions Christmas card, so I knew you would enjoy seeing this example from the studio circa 1952.
It's for sale this week on ebay. Worth clicking on just for the cover illustration, too. I've never yet linked to a current sale of anything, but I feel it's only fair as I "borrowed" the image of the card to share here.
The seller is the well-known local animation dealer Howard Lowery. I used to buy things from Howard when he worked at Collector's Bookshop on Hollywood Blvd. in the 70s, when I'd have to take a bus--didn't drive yet--into Hollywood. The animation material was largely on display in a glass case in the middle of the cavernous room, auctioned off every month. Courvoisier Disney cels from Fantasia or Pinocchio went for whopping sums like $200-400 each.
Howard writes in his description that the interior painting of this card is Mary Blair's. Lovely.
I'm not bidding, by the way, so don't worry about me.



3 comments:

antikewl said...

This is fantastic! I've been a big fan of Mary Blair's work for many years. It's interesting to see how versatile she was as an illustrator despite her very distinct style.

I'd bid myself but I know I won't be able to afford it. Especially after the tax bill I've just received!

Thad said...

Hey, Jenny, thanks for the link. I might go for this one, but chances are it'll pass the $100 mark. Someone was selling one with ALICE characters, for 1951, a few months ago. Great stuff.

- Thad

K.B. said...

Such style. Thanks for posting this. Really enjoy your blog.