Nov 22, 2009

Some John Kricfalusi 1989 character drawings (redux)

Over on John Kricalusi's blog he posted some very early drawings by Eddie Fitzgerald that Eddie had done, studies of the characters he did for his Tiny Toons crew way back in 1989. The pig drawings especially-inspired by viewings of the classic Bob Clampett WB shorts like "Kitty Kornered"-are lovely things and generated a lot of comments. One of them referred to John himself doing work for a TT episode, which John didn't remember(he was in the thick of producing a Nickelodeon pilot called "Big House Blues" at the time).

I remembered them well. This was the first time I'd seen any art drawn by John K; I loved them-who wouldn't?-and Kent Butterworth, who John had done these for, let me make a copy of the lot of them. It's from an episode called "Who Bopped Bugs Bunny?".
I originally posted these here in January, 2006, a couple of months before John had his own blog.

Here's some of what I wrote then:


I love the feeling of these being produced on a real tear(well, in fact I know they actually were). One zips after and builds upon another--various ideas of how the guy here might use his trunk, his eyes, his torso, his teeth, his tail to express himself. Certain poses tell a story all by themselves.












-all the above by John Kricfalusi



, , , ,

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drawings #3 and #4 do seem to owe a lot to the Gene Deitch/Jim Tyer concept of Sidney the Elephant at Terrytoons (since Tyer is probably the second craziest person behind Clampett from the Hollywood theatrical Golden Age, that's not an insult).

Jenny said...

I wouldn't be suprised...I can't remember the context of the character in the episode, but I think he may have been intended as a riff on or somehow a reference to Sidney the elephant, or a Sidney-type...but taking it off in a very different direction--witness the sophisticated cravat-wearer in the other post, or the smarmy guy here.

Anonymous said...

I believe this elephant was to be used in the Tiny Toon Adventures episode "Who Bopped Bugs Bunny?". Stanley the elephant steals the Oscar that Bugs won for Knighty Knight Bugs (ugh... Friz). It aired 12/14/1990, so it seems reasonable.

Jenny said...

"...and the gentleman wins a cigar!"

Yes, that would probably be it. Wow, what a fast turnaround on that episode that would have been. We're talking shipped in June or July, aired in December? Huh!
Thanks for the info! My memory of those specifics is, well, terrible.

Anonymous said...

You know, I thought I remember reading about a connection between Sidney and Stanley, and looks like my memory didn't fail me. There was a Sidney cartoon nominated for an Oscar the same year as "Knighty Knight Bugs", which is how that Tiny Toons episode was inspired. (info)

Katie said...

Thanks so much for posting these great John drawings, and for telling me about it. This is a really great blog...very well written and inspring. Love your drawings, as well!

Jenny said...

Aw! Thanks, Katie--I'm really inspired by your blog too. : )

I had a real ball the other day going way, way back and looking over some of your drawings that I'd never seen before...*and*,you write pretty darn well yourself!

Jorge Garrido said...

Oh, man! These recent posts on the blogs makes me want to go rent those Tiny Toons DVDs and give the show another chance!

Thad said...

Beautiful, slick, and fun stuff. Thanks for reposting all of these. I just looked at the finished episode and was pretty horrified. Tiny Toons was not something from my youth that was fun to revisit. It sure seemed like a better show in my memory!

John-Michael Morgan said...

I haven't seen Tiny Toons since...wow, I don't even remember. These are some great drawings, though.

I gotta say: I always check everyday to see if you've posted something. Your blog has some of the best art, and is a great source of inspiration. Keep it coming, Jenny!

-jmm

drawingtherightway said...

Thanks for posting these Jenny! I was the person who asked John about this after seeing him credited for this episode on imdb.com. I'm sure if an artist looks on this site, they can find lots of shows that they don't remember working on!

Brubaker said...

So, any idea what Gene Deitch thought of this episode?

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Great drawings! The lad can draw, no dobt about it!

John V. said...

I think Stanley is supposed to be "Sidney if he were Jerry Lewis". The Kennedy animation provides the necessary Jim Tyerishness.

In the episode, where we see the making of some of Stanley's '50s films, notice the name of the director on the clapperboard: "Tish Tash"! aka Frank Tashlin, who had previously of course been a cartoon director (although not at Terrytoons) and was by this point directing films starring... Jerry Lewis.

Kali Fontecchio said...

So fluid! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That Terrytoons character began life with the name "Sick Sick Sidney" but it was changed to the more benign "Silly Sidney" later. I guess in the 1950's only beatniks were allowed to be "sick", not theatrical kiddie cartoon characters.